Solentim are Recruiting | R&D Director
Company Information: About Solentim
Solentim is a Life Sciences company committed to transforming the discovery and development of new biologics, to get materials into the clinic faster and to drive better outcomes for patients. As the global leader in accelerating cell line development through intelligent automation, we create practical solutions to speed up workflows.
For more information please visit www.solentim.com
|Job Title:||R&D Director
|Work Location:||Solentim Limited Head office (Wimborne, Dorset)|
The R&D Director will be integral part of the company management team. They will bring leadership to a cross-discipline R&D team consisting of software developers, design engineers and Biologists. They will be responsible and accountable for the on-time delivery of new product development activities.
- To oversee and direct all R&D activity in the business.
- To develop and lead a high performing, cross discipline R&D team, of biologists, software developers and design engineers.
- Build a pipeline of new product concepts for future R&D projects.
- Ensure Intellectual Property is exploited and protected where possible.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of technology advances and competitive activity.
- Build and maintain a strong network of industry experts, end users and key opinion leaders to understand current and future customer needs.
- Lead the development and implementation of R&D processes and their continuous improvement for the R&D team consistent with best practices in the company and the industry and ensuring compliance with required regulatory requirements.
- Ensure all projects are effectively documented, managed and tracked through the company portfolio management process.
- Agree and implement the R&D project portfolio and deliver expected outputs in terms of product quality, time-to-market, meeting cost targets.
- Manage R&D resource allocation in line with agreed business and NPD priorities.
- Build and maintain the highest standard of technical capability in the R&D team.
- Work calmly under pressure.
- A “can do” approach.
- A naturally curious and inquisitive interest in our market area.
- Comfortable with analysing data and translating into clear messages to the business.
- Committed to continuous improvements and working collaboratively for results.
- Easy to be with and a readiness to show appreciation to others.
- An entrepreneurial outlook but recognising the importance of a disciplined approach in a drive for excellence and consistency.
- Good cultural awareness.
- Generally, motivate people to give their best results, praising them when things go well and appraising them of improvements which can and should be made.
- Smooth relationships when difficult circumstances prevail and develop a culture of trust both within and outside the team.
- Take decisions in a timely and appropriate manner whilst at the same time ensuring others follow similar principles.
- Be alert to changing situations, show flexibility in approach, adaptability in difficult circumstances and continuously strive to achieve results.
- BSc / PhD in a life science discipline or in an engineering discipline.
- >10 years managerial experience.
- >10 years product development and project management experience.
- Experience of R&D of life science instruments including in a regulated environment e.g medical devices would be desirable.
- Excellent track record of R&D Management with evidence of multiple new product introductions with significant positive financial impact on the success of the business.
- Strong business acumen and results oriented.
- Recognised leadership and team building skills.
- Proven experience in managing a high performing, cross-discipline R&D team.
- Strong grasp of business strategy and ability to prioritize opportunities and lead R&D strategy.
- Intermediate to advanced level IT skills in MS Office and report writing in Word & Excel.
- Previous management experience ideally including virtual team management.